Tuesday, January 8, 2008

One Can Of Soup, Infinite Possibilities

Over the holidays, my life was beyond crazy, and I didn't have nearly as much time as I would have preferred for meal planning and cooking.

One evening, after sitting in an unexpected traffic jam for an hour, I arrived home exhausted with two hungry kids. Searching for something quick to feed them, I pulled a can of potato soup out of a cabinet, reached for the can opener...then hesitated. Canned soup? For dinner? It didn't seem like enough. So I dug around in my freezer to see what we had.

I ended up using the canned soup, but adding a bunch of different extra ingredients to it to make it heartier and healthier. I tossed in some cooked, shredded chicken and frozen carrots and peas, then shredded some cheddar on top.

The variations are endless for what you can do with a can of soup. Here are just a few.

Add cooked sausage, ham, bacon, turkey or clams.

Add cauliflower, broccoli, corn, asparagus or peppers.

Top with sour cream.

Add frozen peas, chopped carrots and sprinkle with dill.

Pour into a greased pie plate, top with refrigerated biscuits and bake for a pot pie.

Stir in cooked ground beef, crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese for cheeseburger soup.

Serve with crusty bread and green salad for a wholesome meal.

1 comment:

Shelly! said...

I've steered clear of canned soup for the sheer palate boredom it provides - but I might have to think outside the can. Thanks for the ideas!