Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Spotlight On Produce: Green Onions

As a self-proclaimed picky eater, onions were always something that I didn't care for. As an adult, I experimented with onions and discovered that if properly chopped and cooked, onions provide immeasurable flavor to any number of dishes.

Once I started trying new recipes, I found that a lot of them called for green onions, so I gave those a try too. They have become a staple in my kitchen. I put them in dips, salads, soups and stews. I like that they are mild, but still have a pronounced onion flavor.

Green onions, also called scallions or spring onions, are a variety of onion harvested immature before the bulb has formed. Both the green leaves and white bulbs are used raw or cooked. Onions are high in Vitamin C, fiber, and a trace mineral called chromium, which has been implicated in lowering blood glucose levels. Onions are used in every style cuisine imaginable and are available in most forms year-round.

When purchasing green onion, look for those that have green, fresh-looking tops that appear crisp, yet tender. The base should be whitish in color for two or three inches. Avoid those that have wilted or yellowed tops. Store green onions in the refrigerator, where they will stay fresh for about one week.

What are some of your favorite ways to use green onions?

No comments: