Sunday, September 30, 2007

Aunt Peggy's Rice

I have no idea who Aunt Peggy is, but this is a family recipe I remember my Grandma making. I've changed the recipe, adding chicken & salsa.

Prep: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings

6 cups cooked rice
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked & finely chopped
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 small can diced green chilis
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
picante sauce or salsa for garnish

Blend together sour cream & mayonnaise, mix into rice and spread into casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, & garlic powder. Top with a layer of diced green chilis, followed by a layer of chicken. Top with cheese & bake until heated through & cheese is melted. Garnish with salsa.

Tips & Tricks
My grandma's recipe does not call for chicken, so for a meatless meal, you can easily omit the chicken. She also never garnished with salsa, but I think its a nice touch both visually & flavorfully. This is a good meal to use up leftovers-prepare by cooking extra rice next time you make a rice dish, and cooking an extra boneless skinless chicken breast.

Make it Healthier
Use reduced fat sour cream & reduced fat mayo, or replace either with nonfat plain yogurt. Omit salt & reduce amount of cheese. I use brown rice, but grandma always used regular white rice.

1 comment:

Susie said...

This sounds yummy. I know we'll enjoy it :)