Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Spiderweb Eggs


This recipe is from Martha Stewart's Halloween issue. Serve these fun eggs for breakfast on Halloween or for a fun spooky snack!

Yield: 1 dozen eggs

1 dozen large eggs
8 cups water
2 cups frozen blueberries
salt & pepper

Place eggs in a single layer in a large saucepan, cover with water and blueberries. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, let stand 10 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs one at a time, and place on a folded kitchen towel. Lightly crack shell on one side with the handle of a whisk or wooden spoon. Transfer egg to medium bowl; cover with cooking water. Repeat with remaining eggs & cool completely in water in refrigerator.

Carefully peel shells from eggs. Serve with salt & pepper.

Tips & Tricks:
I didn't want to waste perfectly good blueberries, so I just added blue food coloring to the water. My blue eggs are brighter & lighter blue than Martha's results with blueberries. For eyeball eggs instead of spiderwebs, make eggs to resemble bloodshot eyes by using red food coloring instead of blue food coloring or blueberries.

How Kids Can Help:
Kids can help peel eggs.

5 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

How cute -- and I really like the food coloring instead of blueberries. Those things are expensive!

Karlene said...

Oh! I'm going to try the blood shot eyes! Hmmm, what can you use to make the iris and pupil?

I made eyes one Halloween with white donut holes, using red gel icing to make the red veins, then an M&M on top with a black gel icing dot on top. (You stick the M&M on with icing.)

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I think they would resemble bloodshot eyes just with the red, but you could also "paint" with gel food coloring right onto the egg, to add in more features.

Lisa said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

I've done these for years and everyone has always loved them. I also use a fancy cutter...to slice them in two with points. Devil them, refill them and put them back together. That way, the marble color is there and they are tasty!! Can also use food coloring in the filling...
YUM. Thanks for helping me to remember these!!!

Mom in Texas.