This recipe is courtesy of Rapunzel from Rapunzel's Castle.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: Slow-cook for 4 hours on HIGH, 6 hours on LOW
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
* 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with jalapenos, drained
* 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
* 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
* 2 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal
* Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine onion, chicken, low-sodium broth, green pepper, jalapeno, 1-1/2 teaspoons of the cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
2. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly. Shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of the cumin and cayenne, and the tomatoes, corn and beans. Gently mash some of the beans against the side of the bowl to thicken the chili. Stir in the cornmeal and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let sit a few minutes to soften the cornmeal. Serve sprinkled with a little of the Monterey Jack cheese.
Tips & Tricks:
I substituted vegetable broth for the chicken, Morningstar Farms Chick'n Strips for the real thing so that the vegetarians will enjoy it as well as the carnivores.