Saturday, November 3, 2007

Macaroni And Cheese Soup

Another recipe from Parents Magazine.

Prep/Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

one box (32 oz) low-sodium chicken broth
6 oz. small shells
1 bag frozen cauliflower, broccoli and carrot mix
1 1/2 cups lowfat milk
2 Tbsp flour
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

In a stockpot, bring the broth to a boil and add the shells. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the vegetables and cook until tender, about 6minutes.

Mix the milk and flour until smooth, then add to broth/veggie mix. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.

Adding the cheese in batches, stir until melted and heated through.

Tips and Tricks
This soup is very thick. It would make a great filling for a pot pie. Just add chicken! I used spiral pasta instead of shells.
Make It Healthier
Use reduced fat cheese. I used sharp cheddar, because it's sharper taste means you can use less cheese and save on calories and fat.
How Kids Can Help
Measure ingredients. Pour pasta into pot. Older kids can shred cheese.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I clipped this recipe out of Parents Magazine, and it was a big hit for my picky eaters...only I lost the recipe, and many months later, I still haven't found it. Your blog is the only place I could find it. I couldn't even find in on parents.com.
Thanks