Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Lasagna Casserole

Yesterday I had planned to make lasagna only to find I was out of lasagna noodles. So we invented a casserole! It turned out really good!

Yield: 8 servings
Prep: 30 minutes

1 pkg corkscrew pasta
2 cups marinara sauce
2/3 cup cottage cheese
2 cups raw spinach torn into bite size pieces
1/2 tsp minced garlic
basil, oregano, & onion seasonings to taste
salt & pepper to taste
grated mozzarella cheese
grated parmesean cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Add sauce, cottage cheese, spinach, & seasonings and heat until cottage cheese begins to melt and spinach wilts. Pour into baking dish and top with cheeses. Cover & bake in oven until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.

Suggested Sides:
Garlic Bread & Garden Salad

Tips & Tricks:
I used a microwave safe casserole and heated in the microwave instead of baking. You can also make this with browned ground beef instead of spinach-I would add a hint of chili powder if I did this. My entire family loved this dish and its easier than layering a lasagna & working with lasagna noodles. Plus I always have these ingredients on hand!

How Kids can Help:
Kids can tear spinach, grate cheese, and push buttons on microwave.

No comments: