Sunday, May 13, 2007

Meatballs

4 slices bread
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup parmesean cheese
2 T parsley
1/4 tsp oregano
dash pepper
1 tsp salt
2 tbs oil

Soak Bread in water for 2-3 minutes, add eggs and mix well. Form meat mixture into balls and brown in oil.


Tips & Tricks:
This winning meatball recipe is one I got from my SIL Amber so Jordan could have Spaghetti & Meatballs. I like that the bread can be fresh & still work, you don't need to toast it or use bread crumbs-its faster that way! They are versatile and can be used for Spaghetti, Italian Wedding Soup, Sweet & Sour Meatballs, or just put them in the crock pot with BBQ sauce for a delicious side or appetizer. My kids love them because they are milder than store bought and I love them because I control what goes in-no MSG or preservatives.

Make it Healthier:
I always use 100% whole wheat bread. While extra lean ground beef doesn't hold together as well as the fattier stuff, experiment to find the lowest fat beef for a good quality meatball with less fat. Eliminate salt & reduce oil and cook by baking/broiling instead of frying.


No comments: