Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Pepper Steak

This is one of my mom's special recipes and my dad's favorite meal. When I got married, I asked for the recipe so I could duplicate it, and this is what I came up with.

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 6 hours
Yield: 4 servings

1-2 pounds bottom round steak, cut into 1-inch strips
one green pepper, sliced
1 large jar tomato juice
1 can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
1 medium onion, sliced lengthwise
1-2 tablespoons flour
1 pound sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon browning sauce
cooked rice

Brown meat in a large pot in oil. Sprinkle flour over meat and stir. When meat is browned, add browning sauce and stir. Transfer to a slow cooker.

Add tomato juice and cook 6 hours or until tender. Add peppers, water chestnuts, mushrooms and onions, cook 30-45 minutes longer, or until tender. Serve over rice.

Tips and Tricks
Buy already sliced water chestnuts to save time. Buy pre-sliced mushrooms, they are already washed and cost the same as whole mushrooms. Try V8 juice for a slightly different taste.
Make It Healthier
Use low-sodium tomato juice. Use lean meat, trimming off any fat. Serve over brown rice.
How Kids Can Help
Measure the flour, stir in tomato juice.
Miscellaneous
My mom always used a brown sauce by La Choy for the browning portion, but I have been unable to find it here. I substituted a tablespoon of hoisin sauce, from the asian section at the grocery store, with great results.

No comments: