Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Cook's Library

I am one of those cooks that prefer to have a recipe to work from. I rarely follow a recipe down to the letter, but I'm not into just throwing stuff into a pan and hoping it comes out okay.

Over the weekend, one of my husband's aunts gave me a pile of old issues of Everyday With Rachael Ray. Each issue is packed full of cool gear, cooking tips and tons of yummy recipes (each with a photo). I've already tried a couple of new recipes and have many more than I plan to make. This is one publication that has clearly and easily won me over as a great reference for cooking.

I'm also a big fan of Light and Tasty magazine. Each issue has over a hundred recipes and is catalogued not only by type of dish, but by health requirements, such as low sodium or low fat. All the recipes have nutritional information and many have diabetic exchanges as well. This is real food for real people, and I can feel good knowing I'm providing a delicious yet nutritious meal for my family.

Recently, in a parenting magazine, I read a review for a book by Jessica Seinfeld, wife of Jerry, on sneaking healthy foods into your kids. I encourage my picky son to make healthy choices and try new foods, but I'm also guilty of sneaking carrots into meatloaf and squash into pancakes, as an insurance policy against the bizarre eating habits of little people. So when I was in a bookstore, I checked out the cookbook and liked what I saw. It's going on my Christmas list.

Be sure to check out the new item in our sidebar, The Cook's Library. Everyone gets stumped sometimes, and it's always nice to have a recommendation behind a book or magazine. Here are our picks! Be sure to let us know if you have any that you rely on, so we can check it out.

Happy reading!

No comments: