Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Rustic Potato-Leek Soup

This recipe was submitted by Jen of Mythbuster Beauty. She has a great site dedicated to great skincare & beauty products, she reviews several products & companies each week! Great site, be sure to check her out!

4 pounds leeks (rinsed and and chopped into 1 inch pieces. Use only white and 3 inches of light green portion)
4 tb. butter, unsalted
1 tb. Wondra Flour, or Flour
5 cups chicken stock, or canned broth
1 bay leaf
2 lbs. red potatoes chopped

Heat the butter and I usually add some chopped bacon into a large stockpot (I love my Le Creuset pan for this), until melted and foaming. Stir in leeks and increase heat and cover for 15-20 minutes, but do not brown the leeks.

Sprinkle flour over the leeks and coat evenly until it dissolves.

Increase the heat and pour in the stock, whisking continually. Add the bay leaf, potatoes and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.

There are 2 variations of this soup that I haven't tried, one adds Kielbasa, and the other White Beans to this soup.

*This recipe is from a cookbook called "The Best Recipe Soups and Stews" by Cooks Illustrated.

3 comments:

WSPC said...

My family just love leek and potato soup and this is very similar to one I make.

Must say I haven't tried it with the white beans so will give that a go. Thanks for the tip.

Wanda
www.only-cookware.com

Jen Hill said...

Jen! WOW, thanks for posting this! I just about cried with joy when I saw this just now. XO Jen

Victoria said...

This is a favorite of our family that I've gone back to over and over again. I add kielbasa and chopped up carrots for a little color variety. All 5 of us love it on a chill fall evening!